New Shop: Brassica Mercantile and Restaurant

I’ve met plenty of people with dreams – I even began to put the wheels in motion some years ago for my once upon a dream to open a bookshop with a cafe… in recent years i’ve leaned towards opening the homewares shop my neighbourhood is lacking. I have friends who have been steadily training as florists alongside their day job and taking jewellery courses so they can spread their wings one day.

A light-filled restaurant serving locally sourced comfort food with an adjoining homeware store with Dickensian windows opening out onto a picturesque village square is one such dream. However, it’s another to execute every part of a dream flawlessly, with charm and atmosphere like Brassica Restaurant and the adjoining Mercantile Shop which I had the pleasure if visiting on a recent trip to Dorset.

I am biased of course because this the venture of an ex-colleague of mine and therefore obviously smug of success by association! Louise Chidgey and her partner Cass Titcombe both have a long career in catering and interiors – Cass most notably as the co-founder of Canteen and Louise as Senior Buyer at The Conran Shop and this venture marries the pairs’ talents and passion in hospitality and retail.

With Louise’s knowledge of the interiors industry the shop ‘Brassica Mercantile’ is brimming with products and brands to rival any global concept store – stocking a mix of the practical, beautiful and unusual. I could have spent all day browsing and shopping here and bagged myself some Tuscan Green Splatter Plates (used in the restaurant) some Bordfolk Danish Egg Cups and the Orange Tree Baggu tote from the new collection which i’ve had my eye on but couldn’t build up the courage to pay for US shipping. I’m also kicking myself that I didn’t pick up these sublime Marbled Placemats

The adjoining restaurant was equally sublime – a perfect canvas for the wares next door. It was a treat to look out onto the quaint and quiet village square as we ate our lunch on the joyful green splatter plates I had just bought. Portions were plentiful and tasted like they were made with love – I had an amazing Ragu with baked polenta that tasted like a hug in a bowl…

Brassica Restaurant and Mercantile
3 The Square, Beaminster,
Dorset, DT8 3AS

Author: Rohini Wahi

Rohini is a London based freelance journalist and trend forecaster for the design industries. She has worked for Elle Decoration, Living Etc, Houzz and Design Sponge amongst others.

She loves a period drama and keeps a tidy home. Launched in 2007 The Beat That My Heart Skipped focuses on home inspirations, design trends, lifestyle and food – coupled with an insight into Rohini’s work and home life – from key picks at trade shows to styled weekend soirees. To contact Rohini for queries, work for hire or just to say hi drop her a line at mail@rohiniwahi.com

9 Comments on New Shop: Brassica Mercantile and Restaurant

1. Kate Williams
    Friday, November 3rd, 2017 09:27 at 9:27 am (3 weeks ago)

This looks divine!!

2. Sunday Taylor
    Friday, November 3rd, 2017 19:37 at 7:37 pm (3 weeks ago)

Just charming, I would love to visit!

3. Rohini Wahi
    Friday, November 3rd, 2017 22:08 at 10:08 pm (3 weeks ago)

You would love it! Such a beautiful but practically curated collection – makes you feel like everything is an essential!

4. Rohini Wahi
    Friday, November 3rd, 2017 22:17 at 10:17 pm (3 weeks ago)

Have you read Tracy Chevalier’s ‘Remarkable Creatures’ about Mary Anning the first female fossil hunter of the early 19th century? She found the first dinosaur fossils in Lyme Regis along the Jurassic Coast right near this store. Another reason to visit and explore!

5. Sunday Taylor
    Sunday, November 5th, 2017 21:43 at 9:43 pm (3 weeks ago)

Hi Rohini, no I haven’t read that book but will now have to get a copy. I’m not familiar with the “Jurassic Coast,” though I have heard of Lyme Regis. Will be looking that up next! I think you would like The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry, it’s also about an adventurous female with a scientific bent. And it has such great Victorian ambiance. A wonderful love story and gothic thriller. I loved that book!

6. Rohini Wahi
    Monday, November 6th, 2017 15:18 at 3:18 pm (3 weeks ago)

Hi Sunday, I have read it! I loved all the characters – the relationship between unusual Cora and William and his ethereal wife who surrounded herself by shimmering blue objects towards the end of her sickness? You’re going to devour Remarkable Creatures – i may read it again now alongside you!

7. Sarah
    Friday, November 10th, 2017 18:41 at 6:41 pm (2 weeks ago)

So stunning! The cushions in the first picture are so fun and I’m noticing that some of the patterned ones have dark blue backgrounds and some light blue; there are the kinds of features I’m always looking for, just twisting typical design into something so special. Every piece in the shop looks like something I’d be happy to buy someone, or to receive myself. Long live independent shops!

8. Mary
    Wednesday, November 15th, 2017 13:09 at 1:09 pm (1 week ago)

Absolutely love the unique, energetic vibe of the place! Their products and the store’s styling itself exudes an exotic charm. It looks perfect for a dose of inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

9. Sophie
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 08:52 at 8:52 am (1 week ago)

This is incredible! Absolutely incredible. I’ve always wanted to open my own vintage tea rooms in one of the North Wales towns, something for retirement or a mid-life crisis perhaps. Plenty of time for that!