A New Look for Waterstones!

WaterstonesTCR12

Earlier this week on my way back from the Heals Modern Craft Market, I walked down the busy main drag of Tottenham Court Road with my eyes darting all about the place as usual – trying to drink in the ever-changing landscape of retail on that side of town.

Tottenham Court Road has never quite been sure what it wants to be – a busy major London thoroughfare its history is a mishmash of iconic theatres, music venues, the hub for large design stores, chain and unique eateries and the ubiquitous phone and souvenir shop – so in that way it has become the go to place for everything and nothing…

Anyway i was thinking about how I quite wanted to pick up a travel book for my holidays to read on the journey home and  like a mirage as I blinked into the sun – I spotted what looked like an enormous Waterstones on the other side of the street. Given the sad flurry of bookstore and music retailer closures in the last few years it was a heart-warming surprise to see this new three-story bookshop.

WaterstonesTCR11

Many of you might be aware that in 2011 Waterstones, on the brink of closure, handed over directorship of its stores for a radical re-think to James Daunt – the owner of the charming chain of independent style London bookstores Daunt Books.

Daunt began to put a lot changes in place one of which was to create Waterstones stores more individual in aesthetic and experience. The new Tottenham Court Road store which opened in November 2015 is large and airy with industrial style furnishings, bare warehouse walls and homely vases of greenery welcoming you in. I couldn’t believe my eyes when the basement stairs led me into a study area with a ceiling adorned in festoon lights and a bar (open till 11pm every day apart from Sunday)!

With hand-drawn fonts and colourful signage it felt very fresh and Urban Outfitters and I guess appealing to the heavy population of students in the area. Theres also a very well curated collection of gifting items, stationery, toys and gift items.

If you are in the area and in the need of a breather – look no further than this bookish beacon of hope that all might still be well with the world.

Have you seen any other re-designed Waterstones popping up around the UK?

Waterstones
19-, 20-21 Tottenham Court Rd
London W1T 1BJ

WaterstonesTCR02

WaterstonesTCR03

Author: Rohini Wahi

Rohini is a London based freelance journalist and trend forecaster for the design industries. She has worked for Elle Decoration, Living Etc, Houzz and Design Sponge amongst others.

She loves a period drama and keeps a tidy home. Launched in 2007 The Beat That My Heart Skipped focuses on home inspirations, design trends, lifestyle and food – coupled with an insight into Rohini’s work and home life – from key picks at trade shows to styled weekend soirees. To contact Rohini for queries, work for hire or just to say hi drop her a line at mail@rohiniwahi.com

9 Comments on A New Look for Waterstones!

1. Ellie Holmes
    Tuesday, March 15th, 2016 05:55 at 5:55 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for sharing this with us. The local Waterstones to me is a traditional book shop. The Waterstones you showed us, however, is fabulous. I love the warehouse look, the gifts section and the bar. Book shops today have to be more than book shops to survive and this makeover is certainly showing the way. I hope they roll out the template elsehere.

2. Rohini:TheBeatThatMyHeartSkipped
    Tuesday, March 15th, 2016 10:47 at 10:47 am (2 years ago)

Hi Ellie – you are right – the interview i was reading about James Daunt’s takeover said exactly that – any store needs to work harder these days. I think there might be one in Picadilly – they are all designed to reflect their location.

3. antonella
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 10:17 at 10:17 am (2 years ago)

Dear Ellie, i’m happy that you like the new store concept. I’m one of the architect that made this new concept!!!
    Miguel Sal&C brand consulting is an italian agency that create the new look for Waterstones..take a look.. http://www.miguelsal.com

4. Rohini:TheBeatThatMyHeartSkipped
    Wednesday, April 6th, 2016 15:25 at 3:25 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for sharing Antonella! Great work!

5. Jane Elizabeth
    Thursday, June 16th, 2016 23:34 at 11:34 pm (1 year ago)

Such a spectacular redesign of Waterstones, and sure to draw in a lot more customers with its inviting charm. All their attention to detail in furnishings, from the vases of flowers/ plants to the rustic walls are beautiful and pull the room together nicely. This rustic/warehouse meets homey design can readily be applied to houses as well. The grey and neutral tones on the walls are another great effect.

6. Lauren
    Thursday, September 1st, 2016 15:13 at 3:13 pm (1 year ago)

Wow I love it! Makes me want to sit and read and drink coffee all day. It looks like a real place you want to hang out in rather than a shop. Being picky… some of the wood looks like unfinished MDF though, would have been nice to some more real wood like oak. However i’m in love with the open ceiling, my favourite restaurant has this.

7. David
    Monday, October 30th, 2017 10:25 at 10:25 am (3 weeks ago)

It looks lovely. I’ve been taken over by kindle but apparently i’m in a shrinking minority.

8. David
    Monday, October 30th, 2017 10:25 at 10:25 am (3 weeks ago)

I’ve been taken over by kindle but apparently i’m in a shrinking minority.

9. Rohini Wahi
    Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 12:49 at 12:49 pm (3 weeks ago)

Hi David I have too been tempted by the Kindle, especially when I am desperate to read something that instant… something keeps holding me back though!