A Home of One’s Own: A New Dawn

Painting1

I know i’ve been quiet on the blogging front lately but we’ve been buried under the rubble of restoration – our hands are raw from hard work and our hair is perpetually covered in a fine layer of dust and i think we’ve lost or put on weight [i cant really tell which as we’ve been eating anything we can lay our hands on but working hard enough for ten people?].

As Spring begins and I write this with the sun streaming through the new gauzy curtains in our bare bedroom, I feel like I am sluggishly emerging from a long dream – those awful days of late night wallpaper stripping seem a world away and the frantic time sensitive evenings making a hundred trips in David’s VW Beetle to transport all of our belongings and my hundreds of books seem… well not so far away… but the memories are fading.

The place is far from done – the windows still need painting – they will all need at least a whole weekend’s attention. Some fixtures still need fitting in the bathroom. The whole spare room had to be re-papered because the walls were so bad and still needs painting, the hallway needs a floor and the living room is waiting for more furniture! But I thought i would share a few up to date pictures with you [I am in love with the lights in our bathroom]… more soon!

Hall Painting2

Bed

Bathroom

Bedroom

Living-Room

Hallway

Author: Rohini Wahi

Rohini is a London based freelance journalist and trend forecaster for the design industries. She has worked for Elle Decoration, Living Etc, Houzz and Design Sponge amongst others.

She loves a period drama and keeps a tidy home. Launched in 2007 The Beat That My Heart Skipped focuses on home inspirations, design trends, lifestyle and food – coupled with an insight into Rohini’s work and home life – from key picks at trade shows to styled weekend soirees. To contact Rohini for queries, work for hire or just to say hi drop her a line at mail@rohiniwahi.com

8 Comments on A Home of One’s Own: A New Dawn

1. Sian
    Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 18:24 at 6:24 pm (6 years ago)

What a wonderful start you have made to the revamp – can I ask where the bathroom lights and bulbs are from – they look amazing!

2. Alison
    Thursday, April 19th, 2012 21:30 at 9:30 pm (6 years ago)

love what you have done so far. Where did you get your grey sofa from?

3. Rohini
    Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 22:46 at 10:46 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Alison – thanks so much. The sofa was from a company i have had my eye on for a while Sofa.com – they do really comfortable classic sofas in contemporary colours and lovely fabrics.

4. Rohini
    Monday, April 23rd, 2012 09:13 at 9:13 am (6 years ago)

Hi Sian, Thanks! The lights are actually outdoor lights from a company called Garden Trading which makes them perfect for the bathroom and the bulbs are Calex Goldline from John Lewis. I’m glad you like them they are my favourite too! : )

5. Red Squirrel
    Sunday, May 13th, 2012 13:00 at 1:00 pm (6 years ago)

Hi, Can I ask where you got your grey tiles from?

6. Rohini
    Sunday, May 13th, 2012 15:19 at 3:19 pm (6 years ago)

We actually have a tonne leftover [miscalculation : ( ] which we are hoping can go to a good home. Email me with your dimensions if you are interested. R

7. Jodie
    Saturday, July 20th, 2013 21:51 at 9:51 pm (4 years ago)

The flooring is beautiful! what is it and where is it from?

8. Rohini:TheBeatThatMyHeartSkipped
    Sunday, July 21st, 2013 11:17 at 11:17 am (4 years ago)

Thanks Jodie! I’m afraid it’s no brand I know of – but it’s real wood -our builder showed us a few samples and we picked!