DIY Indoor Herb Garden

Herb Box DIY

My friend Alice swears she’s had a basil plant for over a year, but fresh herbs only seem to last a few days in my care before wilting! I’m hoping having a nice window ledge box to keep fresh herbs in will inspire me to look after them better and actually remember they need a drink and a bit of TLC too once in a while!

This really simple DIY will transform any wooden box into a refreshing indoor herb garden. I got my box from Ikea, and it works wonderfully as it comes with a metal water-collecting tray inside.

Herb Box DIY

You will need

A rectangular wooden box.
Acrylic paint [for the lettering]
Thick and thin paintbrushes.
White paint [I used splashproof bathroom paint, but any water resistant wood paint will do]
Lettering stencils, [or letters printed onto card]
Craft knife.

Herb Box DIY

Step 1: Painting the box

Paint the wooden box with the white paint. Depending on the paint you use, it might take a few coats.

Herb Box DIY

Herb Box DIY

Step 2: Making the stencil

Rather than watching paint dry, use the time to make the stencil [if you don’t have shop bought stencils of the right size]. I printed the lettering onto card, and then cut it out carefully using a craft knife.

Herb Box DIY

Step 3

Draw around your stencil, lightly, with a pencil.

Herb Box DIY

Step 4: Painting the letters

The only fiddly bit – carefully paint over your lettering with black acrylic.

Herb Box DIY

Now fill with your favourite herbs, and don’t forget to water them!

Herb Box DIY

6 Comments on DIY Indoor Herb Garden

1. Alice
    Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 19:34 at 7:34 pm (6 years ago)

Love it! Perfect home for a newly bought or year old basil plant! X

2. Ryan Slodge
    Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 11:05 at 11:05 am (6 years ago)

I know alice and it turns out the basil plant was a rare form of rubber tree all along.

3. Rohini
    Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 15:18 at 3:18 pm (6 years ago)

Haha, well in that case I hope it didn’t ruin anyone’s dinner!

4. annette
    Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 17:46 at 5:46 pm (6 years ago)

plein d inventions; joli par surcroit. BRAVO

5. Kandy
    Tuesday, May 18th, 2010 12:07 at 12:07 pm (6 years ago)

The trick to keeping basil for ages is to treat it somewhat like a Mogwai (Gremlins) and only water it before midday – seriously, it gives the plant a chance to dry off and doesn’t rot. Also you do need to keep picking the tips and occasionally cutting the stems down to a lower set of buds.

6. Curious Homes - Home Accessories
    Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 17:00 at 5:00 pm (5 years ago)

That is just SO cute!! I’m not a big fan of white but might do something similar in leftover turquoise paint from another project.
    Never had a problem keeping basil for ages. It’s parsley and coriander that always die soon in my house :(