Herb Box DIY

My friend Alice swears she’s had a basil plant for over a year, but fresh herbs only seem to last a few days in my care before wilting! I’m hoping having a nice window ledge box to keep fresh herbs in will inspire me to look after them better and actually remember they need a drink and a bit of TLC too once in a while!

This really simple DIY will transform any wooden box into a refreshing indoor herb garden. I got my box from Ikea, and it works wonderfully as it comes with a metal water-collecting tray inside.

Herb Box DIY

You will need

A rectangular wooden box.
Acrylic paint [for the lettering]
Thick and thin paintbrushes.
White paint [I used splashproof bathroom paint, but any water resistant wood paint will do]
Lettering stencils, [or letters printed onto card]
Craft knife.
Pencil.

Herb Box DIY

Step 1: Painting the box

Paint the wooden box with the white paint. Depending on the paint you use, it might take a few coats.

Herb Box DIY

Herb Box DIY

Step 2: Making the stencil

Rather than watching paint dry, use the time to make the stencil [if you don’t have shop bought stencils of the right size]. I printed the lettering onto card, and then cut it out carefully using a craft knife.

Herb Box DIY

Step 3

Draw around your stencil, lightly, with a pencil.

Herb Box DIY

Step 4: Painting the letters

The only fiddly bit – carefully paint over your lettering with black acrylic.

Herb Box DIY

Now fill with your favourite herbs, and don’t forget to water them!

Herb Box DIY

Comments

Comment from Alice
Time Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 19:34 at 7:34 pm

Love it! Perfect home for a newly bought or year old basil plant! X

Comment from Ryan Slodge
Time Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 11:05 at 11:05 am

I know alice and it turns out the basil plant was a rare form of rubber tree all along.

Comment from Rohini
Time Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 15:18 at 3:18 pm

Haha, well in that case I hope it didn’t ruin anyone’s dinner!

Comment from annette
Time Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 17:46 at 5:46 pm

plein d inventions; joli par surcroit. BRAVO

Comment from Kandy
Time Tuesday, May 18th, 2010 12:07 at 12:07 pm

The trick to keeping basil for ages is to treat it somewhat like a Mogwai (Gremlins) and only water it before midday – seriously, it gives the plant a chance to dry off and doesn’t rot. Also you do need to keep picking the tips and occasionally cutting the stems down to a lower set of buds.

Comment from Curious Homes – Home Accessories
Time Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 17:00 at 5:00 pm

That is just SO cute!! I’m not a big fan of white but might do something similar in leftover turquoise paint from another project.
Never had a problem keeping basil for ages. It’s parsley and coriander that always die soon in my house :(

Write a comment

(Spamcheck Enabled)

{ Search }

{ Recent Articles }

Inspiring Business: Sparrow and Co.

Things on Strings: Simple Keepsake Mobile